Dr. Fitzgerald was born at Magee-Womens Hospital and is a life-long Pittsburgher. She attended the Penn State University Schreyer Honors College and earned dual degrees in Biology/Neurobiology and Women’s Studies/Women’s Health. She attended the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and graduated from the PSTP program in 2013. She completed her Gynecology and Obstetrics residency at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and her fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at Georgetown University/MedStar Health.
Education & Training
- Fellowship, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Residency, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Brown, T, Davidson, E, Fitzgerald JJ. Editorial: Our professional responsibility and social media: a call to action in FPMRS. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. Accepted September 2020, Ahead of Print.
- Carey, E, Fader, A, Fitzgerald, JJ, Hammons, L, Nensi, A, Park, A, Ricci, S, Rosenfield, R, Scheib, S, Weston, E, Stone R. Enhanced Recovery and Surgical Optimization Protocol for Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery : An AAGL White Paper. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. August 2020.
- Fitzgerald, JJ and Richter, LA. The Role of MRI in the diagnosis of Pelvic Floor Disorders. Current Urology Reports. Accepted January 2020, ahead of print.
- Fitzgerald, JJ, Davitt, J, Scott, F, Robinson, JK. Case report: Critically high carboxyhemoglobin level following extensive hysteroscopic myomectomy. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, September 2019.
- Fitzgerald JJ, Siddique M, Miranne J, Saunders PA, Gutman RE. Development of a Patient-Centered Pelvic Floor Complication Scale. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. March-April 2019.
- Fitzgerald JJ and Iglesia, C. Treatment Options for Women with Urinary Incontinence. New England Journal of Medicine Journal Watch, January 2019.
- Fitzgerald, JJ, Blomquist J, Pierce, C, Nugent, J, Handa, VL. Care-seeking for stress incontinence and overactive bladder among parous women in the first two decades after delivery. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. July-August 2016, 22(4):199-204.
- Hallock, J, Fitzgerald JJ, Chen, CCG. Update on Robotic versus Laparoscopic Sacrocolpopexy: Outcomes and Costs. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. Dec 2014, Vol. 3, Issue 4: 252-264.
- Fitzgerald JJ, Koronowski, KB, Ustinova E, DeGroat, WC, Pezzone MA. Evidence for the role of mast cells in colon-bladder cross organ sensitization. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical. January 2013. Volume 173, pp. 6-13.
- Fitzgerald JJ, Pezzone, MA. The Role of Bowel Pathophysiology in Voiding Dysfunction. Current Bladder Function Reports, December 2009. Volume 4, Number 4, pp. 234-239.