UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is the obstetrical and gynecological teaching hospital of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and UPMC Health System. The hospital is located in the vicinity of the Pitt School of Medicine and UPMC's other teaching hospitals, as well as the undergraduate campus of the University of Pittsburgh.
Magee is a world-class center for women’s health and is ranked among the top hospitals in the nation for gynecological care. UPMC is a genuinely integrated health delivery system and operates more than 25 academic, community, and specialty hospitals, more than 600 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, employs nearly 3,600 physicians, and is the largest non-governmental employer in Pennsylvania with 65,000 employees.
Approximately 10,000 babies are born at Magee each year, accounting for 45 percent of all births in Allegheny County. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the largest in Pennsylvania and one of the largest in the country, treats more than 1,500 seriously or critically ill babies each year.
One of the first recognized as a National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Magee serves as the teaching facility for obstetrics, gynecology, gynecologic oncology, and neonatology for the University of Pittsburgh. Members of our medical staff hold academic appointments at the university and are actively involved in education and research, as well as patient care.
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is guided by the principles established in the Womancare Model of Care, which focuses on the unique attributes of each woman and places her at the center of the health care delivery system. Magee is committed to treating each woman with dignity, empowering her through education, and bringing comprehensive and appropriate care into our communities. The hospital has expanded its clinical care to men, as well as women, with a full-service Emergency Department and services including imaging, cardiology, orthopaedic surgery, lupus, gastro-enterology, colorectal surgery, pulmonology, and urology.
Facilities and services include:
- A dedicated Ob/Gyn Ultrasound unit (sonography physicians are all obstetrician gynecologists)
- A reproductive genetics unit
- An onsite library with staff and expertise to pull articles and perform literature searches
- Extensive clinical, basic, and translational research resources (including the Magee-Womens Research Institute)
- Multiple on-site simulation tools and programs
- Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Skills Certification Training for Residents
- Robotic Training Network Curriculum, Mimic Robotic Simulator, Intuitive Backpack Robotic Simulator
- Peter M. Winter Institute for Simulation, Education and Research (WISER) located approximately one block from the hospital; the full service multidisciplinary medical simulation center of the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC.
- Dual-console robotic gynecologic surgery