The Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship Training Program at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital offers its trainees a rich mix of hands-on clinical experience and quality investigative exposure. The fellowship is currently approved to accept three fellows per year.
Our goals are:
- To train competent subspecialists to care for and provide consultation to women with complicated pregnancies and the physicians who care for them
- Provide fellows with the tools and background to achieve a successful career in academic medicine
- Provide the option to pursue advanced degrees and other professional development opportunities
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, a nationally and regionally recognized leader in women's health, is the obstetrical and gynecological teaching hospital of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Our residency and fellowship programs are consistently ranked among the best in the country due to the high patient volume and diverse clinical experiences.
- Over 10,000 deliveries performed annually at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
- Approximately 625 patients per year are transferred from outlying community hospitals to our high-risk Perinatal Referral Service.
- Over 80,000 ultrasound examinations are performed annually on pregnant women and their fetuses.
- Opportunities for training in amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling through the Genetics Division and the Center for Advanced Fetal Diagnosis
- Opportunities for training in percutaneous umbilical blood sampling, intrauterine transfusions, shunt replacement, radio frequency ablation and EXIT procedures through our Center for Innovative Fetal Intervention
In addition to the excellent clinical training available at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, we have a modern research facility located in the Magee Womens Research Institute, which harbors one of the largest research units in the United States devoted exclusively to research on women’s and infants’ health.
- UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is part of the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Unit Network, which is directed by Dr. Hyagriv Simhan and allows access to large multi-center databases and research opportunities
- Diverse faculty involvement in basic science, clinical trials, qualitative and educational research
- Formal faculty mentoring program
- Research projects are supported both by extramural funds from the National Institutes of Health and by intramural funds made available through the Magee-Womens Research Institute.
The fellowship at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital values formal educational opportunities to prepare our fellows for practicing evidence-based medicine and a career in academic medicine.
- Three hours of protected didactics weekly
- Monthly journal clubs and weekly Grand Rounds
- Fully funded graduate coursework through the ICRE REACH Program in biostatistics and research methodology during the second year of fellowship
- Opportunities to pursue a Certificate or Masters in Education or Clinical Research
Meet Our Current Fellows:
The Maternal-Fetal Fellowship Program participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) Match (http://www.aamc.org/services/eras). All applications through ERAS must include:
- Complete online application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Official Test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE Steps I, II and III, LMCC, COMPLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS< FLEX or NBME)
- ECFMG Status Report (if applicable)
- 4 Letters of Recommendations (must include one from the chairman of the department of residency training
2021 INTERVIEW DATES:
July 9, 2021
July 23, 2021
August 20, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: The application period for our program ends on May 3, 2021. Initial invitations will be sent on May 17th. All invitees will have until May 24, 2020 to accept or decline the invitation, at which point additional invitations will then be sent out to fill the remaining interview slots.
For additional information, please contact:
Fellowship Program Manager
UPMC Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213