Associate Professor & Vice Chair for Diversity & Inclusion
The Department's mission-guiding philosophies are summed up by the two quotes above. UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is a national leader in all aspects of health care for women. One of our most important missions is training people for every level of care provision for women. We don’t just train residents and fellows, we equip them for leadership. We are committed to excellence with a diverse and inclusive profile. We will be delighted to have you join our Magee family. Alex Olawaiye
Assistant Professor & Ombudsperson for Diversity
Doctor Napoe’s role as Ombudsperson for Diversity for our trainees and students includes:
- Serving as a ‘go-to’ individual for instances when trainees or students experience racism in our hospital and department.
- Working with the reporter to coordinate appropriate next steps based upon their report.
- Working with department residents, faculty, and leaders to address and prevent experiences of racism among our colleagues and learners.
- Examining the process of medical student training and recruitment; collaborating to attracting minorities and underrepresented groups to Magee; then support these individuals when they join us.
- Working together with Doctor Olawaiye and Jessica Johnson, MHA, BSN, RN, Director of Surgical and Anesthesia Services, and Chair of Diversity and Inclusion at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, as part of the overall Magee diversity initiative to improve our ability to care for and support underrepresented minorities as well as to increase the diversity of our workforce at the faculty and staff levels.
We as a training program are committed to promoting a community of diversity, equity, and inclusion, built upon principles of anti-racism as a means to optimize learning and patient care. Consistent with the AAMC definition of diversity, our commitment is not limited to gender, race, and ethnicity, but inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity, religious background, age, socioeconomic status, physical ability, and life experiences. To limit the impact of systemic biases inherent in medical education, our Admissions Committee will perform a holistic review of all completed applications submitted via ERAS to our program.
Some of the diversity, equity, and inclusion missions of the department, residency, hospital, and health system are as follows:
- Department - Vice Chair of Diversity, Dr. Alexander Olawaiye
- Recruiting diverse faculty, staff, and trainees
- Training on diversity and inclusion
- Creating an inclusive environment
- UPMC Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer
- Multiple employee resource groups
- Minority Residents and Fellows Group
- URM Applicant Sunday Brunch & Tour of Pittsburgh
- UPMC Hospitals Recognized for LGBTQ Policies (8-2020)
Ob/Gyn Residency & UPMC GME Diversity and Inclusion Applicant Recruitment Opportunities:
The program and UPMC GME have the following opportunities available for URM applicants to learn more about our efforts to recruit a diverse and inclusive class of residents. Additional information and registration information will be provided to invited applicants via Thalamus.
- Diversity and Inclusion Discussion with Residents and Faculty (for applicants interviewing)
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021, 6:45-7:45 pm
- Tuesday, January 11, 2022, 7:30-8:30 pm
- UPMC GME Diversity URM Recruitment Brunches, 1-2 pm, (by invite only)
Sunday, November 7, 2021
Sunday, November 14, 2021
Sunday, November 21, 2021
Sunday, December 5, 2021
Department Involvement in Diversity & Inclusion:
The Pandemic of Micro Aggressions: Skills to support trainees in the face of microaggressions or discrimination. (June 2020). Presenters included Judy Chang, MD, MPH. Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences and Internal Medicine.
Pittsburgh Inequality Across Gender and Race report: What Pittsburgh Ob/Gyns Need to Know. Grand Rounds, Nina Ragunanthan, MD, Senior Ob/Gyn Resident (July 2020)
LGBT+ Providers at Magee and Beyond (The list is by no means comprehensive, but includes many physicians from our department)
Within the UPMC Health System and University Communities:
- UPMC Graduate Medical Education
- UPMC Graduate Medical Education Coalition of Residents and Fellows of Color (C-ROC)
- UPMC Center for Engagement and Inclusion
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Office of Diversity Programs
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Diversity & Inclusion
- University of Pittsburgh - Pitt Communities
- University of Pittsburgh PRIDE Health
UPMC in the News:
Resources for the Match: