Alexander B. Olawaiye, M.D.
Professor & Vice Chair for Diversity & Inclusion
The Department's mission-guiding philosophies are summed up by the two quotes above. UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital is a national leader in all aspects of health care for women. One of our most important missions is training people for every level of care provision for women. We don’t just train residents and fellows, we equip them for leadership. We are committed to excellence with a diverse and inclusive profile. We will be delighted to have you join our Magee family. Alex Olawaiye
Gnankang Sarah Napoe, M.D.
Assistant Professor & Ombudsperson for Diversity
Doctor Napoe’s role as Ombudsperson for Diversity for our trainees and students includes:
- Serving as a ‘go-to’ individual for instances when trainees or students experience racism in our hospital and department.
- Working with the reporter to coordinate appropriate next steps based on their report.
- Working with department residents, faculty, and leaders to address and prevent experiences of racism among our colleagues and learners.
- Examining the process of medical student training and recruitment; collaborating to attract minorities and underrepresented groups to Magee; then supporting these individuals when they join us.
- Working with Doctor Olawaiye as part of the overall Magee diversity initiative to improve our ability to care for and support under-represented minorities and to increase the diversity of our workforce at the faculty and staff levels.
We as a training program are committed to promoting a community of diversity, equity, and inclusion, built upon principles of anti-racism as a means to optimize learning and patient care. Consistent with the AAMC definition of diversity, our commitment is not limited to gender, race, and ethnicity, but inclusive of sexual orientation, gender identity, religious background, age, socioeconomic status, physical ability, and life experiences. To limit the impact of systemic biases inherent in medical education, our Admissions Committee will perform a holistic review of all completed applications submitted via ERAS to our program.
- Recruiting diverse faculty, staff, and trainees
- Training all members on diversity and inclusion
- Creating an inclusive environment
- Creating multiple employee and trainee resource groups
- Fostering upstanding in the training and clinical care environments
Ob/Gyn Residency & UPMC GME Diversity and Inclusion Applicant Recruitment Opportunities:
The residency program and UPMC GME have the following opportunities for URM applicants to learn more about our efforts to recruit a diverse and inclusive class of residents. Additional information and registration information will be provided to invited applicants via Thalamus.
- Diversity and Inclusion Discussion with Residents and Faculty (for applicants interviewing)
- Thursday, January 12, 2023, 6:45-7L45 pm
- UPMC GME Diversity URM Recruitment Brunches, 1:00-2:30 pm, (by invite only)
Sunday, November 20, 2022
Sunday, December 4, 2022
Sunday, December 11, 2022
Sunday, December 18, 2022
LGBT+ Providers at Magee and Beyond (The list is by no means comprehensive, but includes many physicians from our department)
Within the UPMC Health System and University Communities:
- UPMC Graduate Medical Education
- UPMC Graduate Medical Education Coalition of Residents and Fellows of Color (C-ROC)
- UPMC Center for Engagement and Inclusion
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Office of Diversity Programs
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Diversity & Inclusion
- University of Pittsburgh - Pitt Communities
- University of Pittsburgh PRIDE Health
UPMC in the News:
- Diversity Ranking
- UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital Executive Summary
- UPMC White Coats for Black Lives
- UPMC Hospitals Recognized for LGBTQ Policies (8-2020)
Resources for the Match: